• Identify the current research and the effects of exercise on maternal and fetal health.
• Describe anatomical and physiological changes that occur during pregnancy.
• Discuss the current American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) and international guidelines for exercise during pregnancy and postpartum.
• Outline safe and appropriate exercise design for prenatal and postpartum women and discuss considerations for training during pregnancy and postpartum.
• Identify specific and appropriate exercises and activities for prenatal and postpartum women.
• Explain the benefits and guidelines of water exercises for pregnant clients.
• Outline suggestions for initiating or enhancing a prenatal and postpartum exercise program.
• Identify postnatal exercise goals and program design considerations for recover from both vaginal birth and cesarean delivery.
• Identify complications and common conditions of pregnancy and postpartum and management strategies.
• Discuss fitness practitioners’ professional responsibilities, including health screening, monitoring exercise, record keeping, and emergency procedures.
• Identify available resources that can be used in prenatal and postpartum exercise instruction and programming.
About This Course
Chapter 1. Benefits of Exercise During and After Pregnancy
Effect of Prenatal Exercise on Maternal Health
Effect of Exercise on Fetal Health
Effect of Postpartum Exercise on Maternal Health and Infant Growth
Chapter 2. Anatomy and Physiology of Pregnancy
Anatomy and Physiology of Pregnancy Cardiovascular and Circulatory Changes During Pregnancy
Respiratory Changes During Pregnancy
Metabolic and Thermal Changes During Pregnancy
Anatomical Changes During Pregnancy
Chapter 3. Prenatal Exercise Prescription
COG Guidelines Reaffirmed 2009
International Guidelines for Exercise During Pregnancy and Postpartum
Prenatal Exercise Design
The Pregnant Competitive Athlete
Chapter 4. Postnatal Exercise Prescription
Vaginal Birth Recovery Program
Cesarean Delivery Recovery Program
Core Strengthening Exercises After Cesarean Delivery
Postpartum Exercise Prescription
Proper Body Mechanics and Ergonomics
Exercise and Breastfeeding
Chapter 5. Maternal Exercise Program Design
Exercise Session Format
Mainstreaming the Pregnant Student
Chapter 6. Complications and Common Conditions of Pregnancy and Postpartum
Self-Check Quiz Answer KeysClient Handouts
Approved Education Organization List
*Course certificate and continuing education credits provided through Human Kinetics following passing of home study written exam.
Canfitpro- FIS 4.00
Canfitpro- PFS 4.00
Canfitpro- PTS 4.00
HK-DSWF certificate of Completion 7.00